Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Planned trip route from OK City to Poteau: (map)
Kilpatrick Turnpike East to Interstate 35
Interstate 35 North to U.S. 412
U.S. 412 East to Interstate 540
Interstate 540 South to U.S. 271
U.S. 271 South to OK 112
OK 112 South to Poteau
Planned trip route from Poteau to OK City: (map)
U.S. 59 North to OK 9
OK 9 West to OK 102
OK 102 North to Interstate 40
Interstate 40 West to Interstate 240
Interstate 240 West to Interstate 44
Interstate 44 East to OK 3
This trip will allow us to get new pictures of Interstate 540 Arkansas and several highways in Oklahoma that OKRoads last photographed in 2003 & 2004, which was 5-6 years & 2 cameras ago. (ie. U.S. 412 from I-35 to U.S. 59) There are also some stretches of highway to be traveled on this trip that have never been photographed by OKRoads. (ie. U.S. 412 from U.S. 59 to I-540) Other highways to be driven on this trip have been covered before, but in the opposite direction (ie. I-540 from U.S. 412 to U.S. 271, OK 112) In other words, there will be plenty of new pictures from this trip.
Recap of the trip: http://okroads.blogspot.com/2009/06/flickr-update.html
Interstate 44 East
U.S. 62 East
U.S. 69 North
U.S. 69 South
U.S. 77 North
U.S. 77 South
U.S. 377 North
OK 7 West
OK 48 South
OK 48A West
OK 76 North
OK 77D North
OK 77D South
OK 78 North
10 days to go til the ESKS New England Extravaganza Roadtrip 2K9! I will post the trip route in a separate blog today.
Monday, June 29, 2009
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Monday, June 22, 2009
Sunday, June 21, 2009
This comes as no surprise to me; I think OK 74A should've been decommissioned long ago IMHO. Especially considering that its parent highway was decommissioned in Cleveland County in the mid-1980s. OK 74 once ran near what present-day Interstate 35 from OK 9 to Robinson Street, then took westbound Robinson Street to 60th Avenue N.W., then followed that into Oklahoma City (where it becomes Western Avenue) until S.W. 29th Street (U.S. 62 & U.S. 277).
Saturday, June 20, 2009
- take more pictures in a larger size than 640x480 like every other road scholar I know does, and
- so I can take some longer road videos
Thursday, June 18, 2009
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
- It will be the first time we have been to two states, Maine & Rhode Island, which will be the 42nd and 43rd states OKRoads has covered
- It will be the first time that we have not taken the official OKRoad-mobile on a roadtrip, as we are planning on renting a car. Reason being: the OKRoad-mobile (2002 Mitsubishi Lancer) has almost 166,000 miles on it, and we just don't think it's prudent to take it to New England
Monday, June 15, 2009
I will be using this blog to post roadtrip recaps, announce new uploads to my Flickr page, and also for the occassional rant (much like the Road Rant on OKRoads.com was).
Let me first get started with the reasons why OKRoads.com & OKHighways.com have not really seen any updates in the last two years:
- Laptop issues: About two years ago, my laptop's monitor stopped working, and it would've cost more to replace it than to get a new laptop. So I got a new laptop. Problem is; all my road pics and webpages up to that time were saved on the old laptop. I did backup some of the site but not all of it.
- Time constraints: Two years ago my life started to become much busier and tiring than it had been. Thus, updating the website wasn't my top priority.
- Marriage: Part of the reason my life became busier was because in the past two years, the Good Lord blessed me with a wonderful young lady who, since 10/25/08, has been my wife. :) Thankfully, she is a "road scholar" also and enjoys tagging along with me on my roadtrips.
The good news in all this is that I never really stopped taking road sign pictures, and pictures taken since May 2007 are all on my Flickr page (http://www.flickr.com/okroads). Most pictures are from Oklahoma (go figure) but I also have pics from trips to Memphis in May 2007, Arlington & Dallas, TX in August 2007, and my honeymoon roadtrip from Oklahoma City to Key West, FL, and back, in December 2008 & January 2009. There are over 10,000 pictures on my Flickr page, with more to come from trips in 2006 (yes, I am 3 years behind on road pictures!).
This may be the longest blog post I ever write (that's why I'm not on Twitter because I type too much LOL) but I look forward to updating this blog frequently, Lord willing.